When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your prep were worth the time.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outdoors, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Raleigh, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for threatening weather in Raleigh or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 919-578-4329 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.