When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep were worth the time.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outside, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Raleigh, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Raleigh or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 919-578-4329 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.