Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your home, being comfortable in your new area year-round is a priority. However, they can make a unique problem for comfort. This is since adding ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the heightened load, because it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most reasonably priced solutions is to get a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Learn more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition might be a good solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, because they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient as they transfer heat to make your room more comfortable. In reality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for additional rebates and reduce your heating and cooling bills for a long time.
Another unique feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room usually has an individual indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is very beneficial if you have a room with specific temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s better than adding ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Adding ductwork is expensive. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the precise amount will depend on your house, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become overwhelmed. When your present heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your house before the addition. This could stress your system and make it wear down more rapidly.
- Your comfort may suffer. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort could be reduced if your system is required to manage a larger space. Your heating and cooling may be less effective, and your utility costs may skyrocket as a result of the system needing to operate more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like more common systems, mini-splits come in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you get the right size for your new area. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create sizable energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or longer when routinely maintained. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you pick the recommended model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Give us a call at 919-578-4329 today to request a free consultation and estimate.