Winter months in Raleigh are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, arrange an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace could give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but over half don't do anything to stop it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be very harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that utilizes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the chance to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not operating properly or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any troubling concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Inspect for any other suspicious things that could compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its peak efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers could require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 919-578-4329 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.