According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide calls each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s most often linked to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.
Why should you be constantly aware of CO2?
The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is tops when ranking leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Raleigh homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
So what can you do?
- No home should be without a reliable, tested CO2 detector. You can contact Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
- If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also wise to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance annually to check that no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the beginning of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its lifespan, consider a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a new heating unit.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.